Article Image
Courtesy: Puck Stopper Photography


Courtesy: Paul Ryan
          Release: 12/30/2014
Print RSS
Related Links

Travis Oleksuk scored twice, including the eventual game-winner with 1.9 seconds left in the second period, as the Bridgeport Sound Tigers fell to the Worcester Sharks 6-2 on Tuesday night at DCU Center.

Colin McDonald opened the scoring for the Sound Tigers just 2:24 into the game. After Sebastian Collberg flipped the puck out of the zone, Kael Mouillierat picked it up and skated in two-on-one. Mouillierat flicked a pass over to McDonald who buried it into the wide-open net. It was McDonald’s team-leading 12th goal of the season and seventh in the month of December.

With just seconds left in the first, the Sharks mounted the pressure and finally got on the board. Nearly a minute of zone time paid dividends for Oleksuk, who chopped the puck over David Leggio to tie the game 1-1. It ended a shutout streak of 148:15 minutes for Bridgeport, spanning over four games.

Six and a half minutes into the second, Dylan DeMelo took a roughing call after throwing one too many punches at Justin Courtnall. Ryan Pulock made him pay, scoring his 12th of the year and 10th power play goal of the season. The Sound Tigers regained their lead at 2-1 after Pulock tied McDonald for the team lead in goals.

Two minutes after Pulock’s tally, Chris Langkow was sent off for tripping. The Sharks responded with a power play goal of their own after a point shot by DeMelo was tipped in front and past Leggio. The Sharks kept putting on the pressure as the middle frame went on.

First it was Adam Burish, who had a breakaway from his own blue line but was denied by Leggio. Then it was a mad scramble in front that somehow stayed off the goal line. It looked as if the teams would go into the locker room tied up again, but another late period goal by the Sharks proved to be the backbreaker.

With just seconds left in the second period, Freddie Hamilton threw a puck towards the net from the boards near the goal line. Several Sharks were waiting in front of the net, including Oleksuk, who jammed home his second of the game. The Sound Tigers now trailed for the first time since their game in Norfolk on December 20.

The Sound Tigers caught a break early in the third, as Oleksuk scored a tap-in but it was waved off due to goaltender interference. Bridgeport had a couple brilliant chances soon afterwards, including a Harry Zolnierczyk breakaway and a Mouillierat shot from the slot on a three-on-two, but Troy Grosenick stopped both, coming up big when the Sharks needed him most.

Worcester put the game to bed later in the third. First it was Greger Hanson scoring the first professional goal of his career to make it 4-2. Three minutes later, it was Konrad Abeltshauser notching a power play goal to make it 5-2. Burish finished off the scoring with his fourth of the year to make it 6-2.

Bridgeport got itself in penalty trouble once again, taking six penalties and allowing two power play goals. The Sound Tigers power play went just 1-for-4 on the game.

The Sound Tigers continue their road trip when they kick off 2015 with an away contest at Providence on Friday, January 2. Puck drop is set for 7:05 p.m.

Notes: Colin McDonald made it back-to-back multi-point games with his goal and assist on Tuesday…Ryan Pulock leads all rookies with 12 goals…This was the first Tuesday game of the season for the Sound Tigers, fourth for the Sharks.

Forward Lines

Zolnierczyk – Quine – Conacher

Collberg – Mouillierat – McDonald

Courtnall – Sundstrom ­– Vaughan

Gallant – Langkow – Stretch

Defensive Pairings

Ness - Pulock

Reinhart - Mayfield

Czuczman - Graham

Goalies (Starter in Italics)

David Leggio

Kevin Poulin

Chuck A Puck
AHL TV - Jan12
Mobile Apps