Testing 123


Courtesy: SoundTigers.com
          Release: 04/05/2014
Print RSS
Article Image
Courtesy: Getty Images
Related Links
The Bridgeport Sound Tigers battled back in the third period, but eventually lost to the Adirondack Phantoms in a shootout by a final score of 4-3. Chris Langkow scored twice in the third period to tie the score, while Scooter Vaughan had a second-period goal of his own. Philippe Trudeau made his second career professional start and put forth a fantastic effort, making 40 saves in the contest.

The teams played a scoreless opening period, but the action was back-and-forth for the entire 20 minutes as the teams combined for 27 shots on goal. The Sound Tigers outshot Adirondack by a 14-13 margin as both goaltenders were tested but did not allow a goal.

The Phantoms got on the board at the 4:32 mark of the second period as Tyler Brown opened the scoring. A neutral zone turnover led to a two-on-one back the other way for the Phantoms. Brown took a pass from Rob Bordson and beat Trudeau to give Adirondack a 1-0 lead.

Vaughan evened the score later in the third period when he let loose a big slap shot from the top of the right-wing circle. The puck whistled past the blocker side of Phantoms goaltender Cal Heeter, and tied the score at one with less than two minutes to play in the second period.

The Phantoms came out with some jump in the third and regained the lead just 35 seconds into the period. Jason Akeson had the puck behind the net and fed it out front to Petr Straka. His initial shot was stopped, but Straka got his own rebound and beat Trudeau to give Adirondack a 2-1 lead.

Later in the period, the Phantoms picked up a two-goal lead just seconds into a power-play opportunity. The faceoff came back to Robert Hagg at the point, who blasted a slap shot towards the net. It was redirected by Brandon Alderson and made it a 3-1 game at the 6:31 mark of the third period.

However, Chris Langkow took over in the late stages of the third and scored twice on the power play to tie the score. With less than seven minute to play, Langkow raced in on Heeter before taking a wrist shot from the right circle. It went high on Heeter and beat the Phantoms goaltender to make it a one-goal game.

With just over two minutes to play, the Phantoms took a penalty and it appeared the Sound Tigers would pull Trudeau to make it a 6-on-4 advantage. As he was headed to the bench, however, Vaughan fed Langkow with a pass through the slot, and Langkow buried it to tie the score late.

The Sound Tigers were forced to kill a penalty of their own in overtime, and did so despite a plethora of chanced for Adirondack. The teams went to a shootout, and while Alan Quine scored first in the fourth round, the Phantoms answered with goals from both Alderson and Nick Cousins to get the win.

The Sound Tigers return to action Sunday afternoon when they faceoff against the Hershey Bears at Webster Bank Arena at 3 p.m.

3rd star: Petr Straka (ADK)
2nd star: Chris Langkow (BST)
1st star: Nick Cousins (ADK)

Debuts: Jesse Graham appeared in his first professional game Saturday and assisted on Langkow’s first goal of the contest for his first pro point.

Sibling Rivalry: Josh Holmstrom also made his pro debut for the Sound Tigers and did so against his brother Ben, who serves as Adirondack’s captain.

Close Games: Saturday was the sixth time the Sound Tigers and Phantoms have met, and all six games have been decided by one goal. The Sound Tigers are 5-0-0-1 in the season series.

Mobile Apps