Testing 123


Courtesy: SoundTigers.com
          Release: 11/15/2009
Print RSS
Article Image
Courtesy: Rich Stieglitz
Related Links

Game Photo Gallery

Watch the highlights and postgame interviews on Sound Tigers TV

BRIDGEPORT, CT - Mark Wotton scored the game-winning goal with two seconds left in overtime and Micheal Haley added a goal and an assist as the Bridgeport Sound Tigers defeated the Portland Pirates 5-4 in overtime Sunday afternoon at the Arena at Harbor Yard. The Sound Tigers took five of a possible six points in their three games this weekend.

As the Sound Tigers pressured in the final minute of overtime, Wotton lost control of the puck at the offensive blue-line. However, he recovered in time to skate in and put the puck through the legs of Jhonas Enroth as he was falling to the ice to win it for the Sound Tigers. The goal capped off a three point day for Wotton, who also tallied two assists.

An action-packed first period saw five goals scored. The Sound Tigers got on the board first as Jesse Joensuu tipped a Jon Gleed slap-shot from the right face-off circle into the top corner of the net just 34 seconds into the game. Portland answered back with a power-play goal at the 6:56 mark to tie the score. Tyler Ennis sent a back-door pass through the slot to Jeff Cowan who quickly redirected it past Bridgeport goaltender Nathan Lawson for his fifth goal of the season.

Haley scored his first goal as a Sound Tiger with 9:30 left in the first to make it 2-1 Bridgeport. Haley dug the puck out of the corner along the boards and sent a shot towards the net that deflected off a Pirates defender and into the goal. With six minutes remaining, Tomas Marcinko took a pass from Haley in the slot and snapped a shot past Enroth to make it 3-1. Portland drew within a goal when Mike Mancari scored his team leading seventh goal of the season with 3:03 left in the period.

Brett Westgarth scored his second goal of the year with 8:13 left in the second period to make it 4-2. The defenseman took a pass from Joensuu and fired a blast from the blue-line that beat Enroth for a two goal Sound Tigers lead.

The Pirates scored two goals in the third period to tie the game. Cowan netted his second goal of the day at the nine minute mark, converting a feed from Cody McCormick from behind the net. Travis Turnbull evened the score at 4 just over one minute later, pounding home a rebound.

The Sound Tigers out-shot the Pirates 36-31. Lawson made 27 saves to earn the victory for Bridgeport.

The Sound Tigers travel west next weekend for a two game series against the Abbotsford Heat. The teams will meet Friday at 10:30 pm ET and Saturday at 9:00 pm ET. Bridgeport's next home game is Wednesday, November 25 at 7:00 pm against the Manchester Monarchs. For tickets, please call TicketMaster at 1-800-745-3000.


POWER SURGE: The Sound Tigers five goals were a season high. The most goals the Sound Tigers had scored in a game was four, on opening night against the Lowell Devils.

GOOD WEEKEND: Bridgeport's five point weekend is the most points the Sound Tigers have collected in a three game stretch this season.



1. Mark Wotton, Bridgeport -- Scored the game-winning goal in overtime and tallied two assists.

2. Micheal Haley, Bridgeport -- Scored his first goal of the season and added an assist

3. Jon Gleed, Bridgeport -- Tallied two helpers



Smith-Moore (A)- Bentivoglio
DiBenedetto-Mauldin (A)-Joensuu

Wotton (C)-Gleed


Cowan (A)-Byron-McCormick

Weber (A)-Generous
Brennan-DiPenta (A)


Mobile Apps