Testing 123


Courtesy: SoundTigers.com
          Release: 10/03/2010
Print RSS
Related Links
HERSHEY, Pa. – Forward Zach Miskovic scored two goals and the Hershey Bears held off a charge from the Sound Tigers in the waning minutes to earn a 3-2 win at the Giant Center on Sunday afternoon.

Just one minute into the first period, Hershey nearly scored the early goal. Sound Tigers goalie Joel Martin was down and stacked the pads to make the initial save from the near side faceoff circle, but was out of position following the stop. The Hershey forward in front collected the puck, but rang it off the iron, and the game remained scoreless.

At the 3:47 mark of the first, Hershey was able to take advantage of a Steve Tarasuk hooking penalty. The Bears were methodical on the power play and passed the puck around the defense until Miskovic found an opening and snuck a shot from the near side faceoff circle past Martin to put Hershey on top 1-0. The Sound Tigers had a power play chance of their own with 2:47 left in the first, but were unable to capitalize on their lone opportunity with the man-advantage, and after one period of play the Sound Tigers trailed the Bears 1-0.

The second period was less eventful than the first, with each team only getting a handful of chances throughout the first 12 minutes of the stanza. But with 7:12 remaining in the second, Miskovic struck again. His deflection in front of the Sound Tigers net beat Martin to give Hershey the two-goal advantage heading into the third period.

Less than three minutes into the third period, the teams dropped the gloves following a scrum in front of the net. This led to three fights happening simultaneously, with Sound Tigers Jon Landry and Brandon Svendsen and Bears forwards Trevor Bruess and Joel Rechlicz all earning game misconducts on top of the five-minute fighting majors.

Ashton Rome made it 3-0 for the Bears midway through the third after Martin made the initial save on a shot from the point and Rome snuck the rebound behind the Sound Tigers netminder.

The Sound Tigers put on a late charge, scoring twice in the span of 14 seconds. First, it was Anton Kharin scoring his second goal of the preseason, coming in a strange fashion. Kharin’s shot from the nearside corner banked off of Hershey goalie Todd Ford into the net to make the score 3-1. Just 14 seconds later, Tony Romano in off the ensuing faceoff, found a rebound and beat Ford to make it 3-2. The Sound Tigers pulled Martin in the final seconds, but were unable to tie the came in the closing seconds.
The Sound Tigers now look ahead to the regular season, which is less than a week away. They will open their 10th Anniversary Season on Oct. 9 at 7 p.m. at home against the Worcester Sharks.

Mobile Apps