Article Image
Courtesy: Puck Stopper Photography


Courtesy: Katy Rubino
          Release: 10/17/2015
Print RSS
Related Links

The Sound Tigers set a team-record with their fifth straight win to start the season with a 3-1 victory over the Providence Bruins on Saturday night at Webster Bank Arena.

It was Joe Whitney with the first goal of the night just 4:32 into the start of the game. Whitney goals came when he wristed a shot underneath the blocker of Bruins netminder Matt Ginn to give Bridgeport the 1-0 lead. It was Whitney’s third goal of the season.

Just 20 seconds later, Justin Florek was sent to the penalty box for slashing. The Bruins took advantage on the power play, when Brandon DeFazio scored the second goal of the night, tying the score 1-1. It was the Bruins’ fourth power play goal in five tries against the Sound Tigers.

The penalties continued when Scott Mayfield was sent to the box for tripping 13:20 into the first period.  The Sound Tigers defense was able to hold off the Bruins and kept the score at 1-1. Then with 4:54 left of the first period, Bruin Chris Casto was sent to the box for slashing, sending the Sound Tigers into a power play. However, they were unsuccessful in taking the lead, with the score remaining at 1-1.

The Sound Tigers found themselves in a back and forth contest with the Bruins for the majority of the second period. It wasn’t until 11:30 into the second period that the Sound Tigers found themselves in another penalty kill when Justin Vaive was sent to the box for interference. However, netminder Stephon Williams had some great saves and didn’t allow the Bruins to take the lead.

Then with 4:52 left in the second period, it was another penalty kill for the Sound Tigers when, once again, Justin Vaive was sent to the box for interference. Even with the two penalties the Sound Tigers were able to hold off the Bruins, keeping the score 1-1 at the end of the second period.

The third period had an intense start with a fight breaking out between the Bruins Max Iafrate and the Sound Tigers Ross Johnston. Both were sent to the box 2:30 minutes into the final period.  It was minutes afterwards when the Sound Tigers pulled ahead of the Bruins when Ryan Pulock scored the eventual game-winner, taking a slap shot through a screen to give Bridgeport the 2-1 lead. Bracken Kearns and Whitney earned assists on the goal.

The Sound Tigers took a late penalty, leading to a power play for Providence with less than a minute left. Despite allowing four power play goals to the Bruins over the past two days, Adam Pelech iced the game with a shorthanded empty net goal to seal the win. It was the fourth shorthanded goal for Bridgeport in just five games.

Williams made 30 saves in the win while Providence went 1-for-5 on the man advantage and Bridgeport went 0-for-2.

The Sound Tigers will stay at home for their sixth game of the season against Wilkes-Barre/Scranton on Sunday at 5:00 p.m.

Forward Lines:

Whitney – Kearns – Beck

Halmo – Quine – Petrov

Vaive – Verhaeghe – Florek

Johnston – Holmstrom – Collberg

Defensive Pairings:

Pelech – Mayfield

Czuczman – Pulock

Carkner – Graham


Stephon Williams

Parker Milner

Chuck A Puck
Mobile Apps