Article Image
Courtesy: Puck Stopper Photography


Courtesy: Tim Langer
          Release: 10/18/2015
Print RSS
Related Links

The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins handed the Sound Tigers their first loss of the season 5-1 on Sunday night at Webster Bank Arena.

In a first period that saw even play through the first ten minutes, it was the Penguins that opened up the scoring after Jesse Graham got hit with an interference penalty. 1:20 later, former Sound Tiger Kael Mouillierat put away a one timer right in front the net to give the Penguins the 1-0 lead.

The Sound Tigers went back on the penalty kill with 6:52 left in the first when Scott Mayfield went to the box for roughing. A minute later Taylor Beck managed to get behind the defense on a breakaway, but his short-handed attempt was sent wide by goalie Tristan Jarry.

The Penguins padded their lead late in the period, when Oskar Sundqvist tipped a shot from the blueline for his first goal of his AHL career. Will O’Neill and Dominik Uher earned assists on the play.

Just 30 seconds into the secondperiod, the Sound Tigers got their first power play opportunity of the game when Tom Kostopoulos was called for tripping. The best scoring chance for either side came on a Penguins break, but Williams stood tall to keep the deficit at two.

With 5:15 gone in the second, the Sound Tigers went back on the power play, when Steve Oleksy got called for roughing. However, the special teams struggles continued for the home squad, who were unable to convert on their second power play of the period.

The Penguins extended their lead when Tom Sestito scored on a rebound, putting the visitors up 3-0. Assists were given on the play to Matia Marcantuoni and Oleksy.

With 11:30 gone in the middle period, there was 4-on-4 action when the Sound Tigers Mike Halmo and the Penguins Oleksy were each hit with a roughing penalty. A minute later, the Sound Tigers took the man advantage when Dominik Simon went to the box for hooking.

Just seconds into the power play, defenseman Ryan Pulock put a dent in the Penguins lead. Pulock blasted a one-time slap shot from the point, scoring his second goal in as many games. Assists went to Alan Quine, and Joe Whitney on the play.

Joe Whitney was called for hooking at the 3:43 mark to send the Sound Tigers back on the penalty kill. The Penguins capitalized when Conor Sheary put it away from the left side to give Wilkes-Barre/Scranton a 4-1 lead.

Early in the final period, the Sound Tigers went on their fourth power play after Carter Rowney was penalized for interference. Center Jared Gomes had the best chance to cut into the lead, but he was turned away by Jarry as the power play came to an end.

Scott Wilson scored the final goal of the game, knocking in a rebound midway through the third to complete the scoring.

The story of the game was the Penguins rookie Jarry, who looked impressive in his debut, accumulating 35 saves on 36 Sound Tigers shots. Sitting at 3-1-0, the Penguins next game is at Springfield on Friday, October 23.

Meanwhile, the Sound Tigers will look to bounce back after suffering their first loss of the season to put their record at 5-1-0. They head to the Mile One Centre to take on the St. John’s IceCaps on Saturday, October 24 at 6:00 EST.

Forward Lines:

Whitney – Kearns – Beck

Halmo – Quine – Petrov

Vaive – Wright – Florek

Verhaeghe– Gomes – Holmstrom

Defensive Pairings:

Pelech – Mayfield

Graham – Leduc

Czuczman – Pulock


Stephon Williams

Parker Milner

Chuck A Puck
Mobile Apps