Article Image
Courtesy: Puck Stopper Photography


Courtesy: Paul Ryan
          Release: 10/24/2015
Print RSS
Related Links

The Bridgeport Sound Tigers scored twice late in the third period, but it wasn’t enough to overcome a 5-4 defeat at the hands of the St. John’s IceCaps on Saturday night at Mile One Centre.

The IceCaps wasted no time getting on the board, scoring less than two minutes into the game. After the Sound Tigers got caught in the offensive zone, Christian Thomas found Daniel Carr with a breakout pass that led him on a breakaway. Carr went forehand-backhand and roofed the shot for his third goal of the year to make it 1-0 St. John’s.

Four minutes later, the Sound Tigers received the game’s first power play after Michael McCarron was sent off for slashing. Ryan Pulock fired the initial shot from the point, but the puck was deflected several times in front of the net and through IceCaps netminder Zachary Fucale to tie the game at 1-1. The goal was awarded to Bracken Kearns, who got his team-leading fourth of the season, assisted by Pulock and Joe Whitney.

The high scoring first period continued, as Thomas was able to score a goal himself. Thomas cruised into the Bridgeport zone and wired a wrist shot past Sound Tigers goaltender Stephon Williams to make it 2-1 IceCaps. It was Thomas’ fourth goal in five games since playing the Sound Tigers back on October 11.

Bridgeport had an answer once again, as it was a point shot with a deflection once again fooling Fucale. This time, it was Scott Mayfield firing one towards the IceCaps net and a deflection beating Fucale high over the glove to make it 2-2. Mayfield’s second goal of the season came off assists from Mike Halmo and Alan Quine.

The scoring for the opening period finally ended with 2:39 left to go in the first. St. John’s had offensive zone time in the Sound Tigers end before executing a tic-tac-toe passing play that ended with Charles Hudon tipping home his second goal of the season. Bud Holloway and Mark Barberio were the ones responsible for the assists on the play.

St. John’s got two goals in the second period to make it 5-2 going into the final frame. First it was Nikita Scherbak, scoring his first AHL goal beating Williams with a wrist shot five hole to make it 4-2. Seven minutes later, Holloway slammed home a centering feed from Hudon to make it a three-goal lead for St. John’s.

Bridgeport Head Coach Brent Thompson switched goaltenders after the fifth IceCaps goal, but the Sound Tigers couldn’t grab any momentum. It took until the 9:00 mark of the third period, when Taylor Beck scored through a screen to make it 5-3. Ben Holmstrom earned the lone assist on Beck’s third of the year.

Whitney made it a one-goal game with 3:26 to play on a power play goal, but the Sound Tigers had very few chances to tie it up late in the game, falling for the second straight game. Bridgeport’s power play went 2-for-6 while going 4-for-4 on the penalty kill.

Williams stopped 14 of 19 shots he saw, while Gibson stopped all seven shots he faced. Fucale stopped 29 in the victory.

Bridgeport will complete the two game series with the IceCaps tomorrow at 2:30 p.m. EST.

Forward Lines:

Whitney – Kearns – Beck

Halmo – Quine – Petrov

Vaive – Wright – Florek

Johnston– Gomes – Holmstrom

Defensive Pairings:

Pelech – Mayfield

Czuczman – Pulock

Carkner – Graham


Stephon Williams

Christopher Gibson

Chuck A Puck
Mobile Apps