Article Image
Courtesy: Puck Stopper Photography


          Release: 11/11/2015
Print RSS

The Bridgeport Sound Tigers won their third straight game 4-3 on Wednesday night in a penalty-filled contest with the Providence Bruins at Webster Bank Arena.

Alan Quine scored the winner with 6:43 remaining, propelling the Sound Tigers to 11-4-0-0 on the season. The game saw 50 total penalty minutes with both teams going 1-for-6 on the power play.

After an uneventful first period, Dalton Smith got the scoring started for the Bruins early in the second period. On an extended shift for the Sound Tigers, Providence’s fourth line went to work as they went tic-tac-toe to Smith who scored his first goal as a Bruin. Rob Bordsen and Garry Nunn notched the assists on the game’s first goal.

The Bruins had plenty of chances to add to that lead minutes later on a power play, but just couldn’t get the puck past Christopher Gibson. Seth Griffith had the best chance just moments into the power play with a wide open net, but shot it off the side of the cage. The Sound Tigers got out of the kill unscathed.

Although the Bruins were controlling the pace of play in the second, the Sound Tigers were able to tie up the game. Malcolm Subban stopped a point shot from Matt Carkner, but the rebound popped out to Sebastian Collberg who deposited his second goal in three games to tie the score at 1-1. Joe Whitney also notched an assist on the play, his league-leading 17th point of the season.

Bridgeport got its first lead of the game on the power play late in the second period. With Chris Casto in the box for interference, Whitney found Ryan Pulock who blasted a one-timer that was tipped in front by Justin Vaive and past Subban. Vaive’s fifth of the season gave the Sound Tigers a 2-1 advantage.

It looked as if the Sound Tigers goal with 1:57 remaining would give them the lead going into the third period, but a fracas with just over a minute to go in the middle frame changed the complexion of the game. All 10 players met up in the Bruins zone while Mike Halmo and Noel Acciari dropped the gloves for a fight. Halmo earned another penalty on the play, giving the Bruins a late power play.

With just 51 seconds left in the period, Maxime Talbot walked into the Sound Tigers zone and beat Gibson over the shoulder on a broken play to tie the game at 2-2. Talbot’s first of the season broke a streak of three straight games for the Sound Tigers of not allowing a power play goal against.

Providence took its second lead of the game just 59 seconds into the third period. With the teams skating four aside, some nifty passing by the Bruins saw Austin Czarnik bury his second of the season to make it a 3-2 game. Griffith and Ben Youds picked up the assists on Czarnik’s tally.

Two minutes later, the Sound Tigers had an answer. This time it was Bracken Kearns, fluttering a shot towards Subban that fooled the Providence netminder and beat him high over the glove to make it a tied hockey game. Kearns’ team-leading ninth of the season came unassisted at 4-on-4.

The Sound Tigers got a chance late in the third with a power play as Andrew Cherniwchan sat for goaltender interference. Bridgeport failed to score with the man advantage, but just four seconds after the power play expired, Jesse Graham found a wide-open Quine in front of the net. The veteran made no mistake, beating Subban over the blocker for his sixth of the season and the eventual game-winner.

Bridgeport held on in the final moments, as Christopher Gibson earned his sixth win on the season. Gibson made 28 saves for the win as Subban made 22 in a losing cause.

The Sound Tigers wait until Saturday to play their next game when they’ll battle the Hershey Bears in their first road contest of November. Puck drop is set for 7:00 p.m.

Forward Lines:

Whitney – Kearns – Collberg

Halmo – Quine – Strome

Vaive – Wright – Holmstrom

Johnston – Gomes – Florek

Defensive Pairings:

Carkner – Mayfield

Czuczman – Pulock

Graham – Leduc


Christopher Gibson

Stephon Williams

Chuck A Puck
Mobile Apps