Article Image
Courtesy: Micheline Veluvolu


          Release: 11/20/2015
Print RSS
Related Links

Bobby Sanguinetti scored during the 3-on-3 overtime to lift the Rochester Americans past the Bridgeport Sound Tigers on Friday night at Blue Cross Arena.

The story of the game for the Sound Tigers was failure on the power play, as Bridgeport went 0-for-8 on the man advantage, including a lengthy 5-on-3 power play.

Bridgeport had several chances to open the scoring late in the period, but could not find the back of the net. First, Sebastian Collberg found Bracken Kearns on the far side post, but Kearns’ shot was shanked into the corner. Moments later, Andrey Makarov robbed Ben Holmstrom on the doorstep off a gorgeous feed from Carter Verhaeghe.

With just eight seconds remaining in the first period, the Americans broke the deadlock. Loic Leduc attempted to clear the zone, but his stick failed him and snapped in two. Cal O’Reilly took the loose puck and fed Nick Baptiste who rifled home his second of the season to give Rochester a 1-0 lead.

The Sound Tigers had a pair of power plays midway through the second period, but it was the Americans who got the goal. Right after a penalty against Rochester expired, Evan Rodrigues sprung O’Reilly for a partial breakaway. O’Reilly scooped a shot over the glove of Christopher Gibson and into the back of the net, helping Rochester to a 2-0 lead.

Although the Americans had the momentum, the Sound Tigers had an answer. Just 19 seconds after O’Reilly’s marker, Justin Florek flung a puck wide of the net and off the backboards. The puck hopped right in front of the net and onto the stick of Jared Gomes, who put home his second goal of the year to cut the deficit to one. Kevin Czuczman got the secondary assist on Gomes’ tally.

The Sound Tigers had a glorious chance to tie the game up early in the third period as they found themselves on a 5-on-3 for 1:33. However, Bridgeport could not score on the two-man advantage, never really threatening Makarov on the power play. The Sound Tigers had five power plays in the third period, but just eight shots on net in the frame.

Bridgeport finally tied up the game with 2:26 remaining in regulation time. Matt Finn kept the puck in at the left point and sent a shot towards the Americans net. Ryan Strome got his stick in position and redirected the shot past Makarov to tie the game up at 2-2.

It was then time for the 3-on-3 overtime, leading to chances for both teams. Finally it was Sanguinetti ending the game, beating Gibson who finished the game with 18 saves.

The Sound Tigers and Americans met for the first time in Rochester since Bridgeport’s first-ever game back on October 5, 2001. The win extended Bridgeport’s points earned streak to five.

The Sound Tigers continue their road swing with another game in upstate New York against the Utica Comets at the Utica Memorial Auditorium tomorrow night at 7:00 p.m.

Forward Lines:

Jones – Kearns – Collberg

Halmo – Quine – Strome

Vaive – Verhaghe – Holmstrom

Johnston – Gomes – Florek

Defensive Pairings:

Czuczman – Pulock

Graham – Mayfield

Finn – Leduc


Christopher Gibson

Stephon Williams

Chuck A Puck
Mobile Apps