Article Image
Courtesy: Puck Stopper Photography


Courtesy: Kristina Burgwin
          Release: 03/19/2016
Print RSS
Related Links

Alan Quine scored exactly three minutes into overtime as the Bridgeport Sound Tigers came out on top 2-1 over the Portland Pirates on Saturday night at Webster Bank Arena.

Despite being outshot 38-22, Christopher Gibson and Stephon Williams combined for the win with goals from Quine and Mike Halmo. The Sound Tigers went a perfect 7-for-7 on the penalty kill and 2-for-3 on the power play. Gibson made 27 saves while Williams stopped eight.

The action began when defenseman Matt Carkner was extremely close to scoring first when he ripped a one timer from the blue line 6:06 into the first frame but Pirates goaltender Sam Brittain saved the shot.

It took ten minutes for the first penalty of the game to occur which was given to Halmo for contact to the head. 1:30 into the penalty Portland’s Chase Balisy found himself a spot in the box for tripping and 30 seconds later Bridgeport found themselves on their first power play of the night.

The Sound Tigers capitalized on this opportunity when Quine sent a wrister from the faceoff circle that was tipped in by Halmo glove side with just 13 seconds remaining on the power play for the 1-0 lead. Halmo’s goal gave him 51 for his career with Bridgeport, putting him in sole possession of eighth all-time on the Sound Tigers’ list

The Pirates led in shots 11-7 going into the second frame. They tried to even the score with a wrister from Brent Regner at 5:52 into the second period but Gibson came up huge with a glove save. Gibson continued to make stellar saves when he made a sprawling pad stop to cover an impressive shot from Corban Knight ten seconds later to keep the 1-0 lead.

During the last seconds of the second period, Bracken Kearns was called for a double minor. Colin Markison joined Kearns a minute and a half later in the box giving Portland a 5-on-3 power play. Gibson stood on his head for both power plays to somehow not allow any goals.

Due to an unfortunate collision with John McFarland and Gibson, both players exited the game and the Sound Tigers went on a five-minute major power play. Williams entered in goal with just over 15 minutes remaining in the game. Despite the lengthy man advantage, Bridgeport did not score on this opportunity.

The Pirates tied up the game late with a top-shelf tally from Micheal Matheson at 15:44 of the final period. Matheson’s shot through a maze of players was his sixth goal of the season.

James Wright was sent to the box with just 23.5 seconds left in regulation for goaltender interference. No further scoring occurred so the game was sent to overtime with 1:37 of the penalty kill carrying over.  With just 25 remaining in the penalty to Wright, Portland received one of their own when Kyle Rau was called for hooking at 1:13 of overtime. After Wright was freed Bridgeport still had 1:35 of power play time.

With just 13 seconds remaining on the power play a turnover caused Quine to go on a breakaway and he went forehand-backhand for the game-winner at 3:00. It was the All-Star’s 13th tally of the season with help from Tanner Fritz.

The Sound Tigers look to continue their four game win streak when they take on the Albany Devils tomorrow at 5:00 p.m. at Webster Bank Arena.

Forward Lines:

Verhaeghe – Kearns – Wright

Halmo – Quine – Fritz

Florek – Holmstrom – Vaive

Gomes – Jones – Markison

Defensive Pairings:

Czuczman – Carkner

Cullity – Mayfield

Finn – Lafranchise


Christopher Gibson

Stephon Williams

Chuck A Puck
Mobile Apps